Thursday, December 30, 2010

Back in Accra...

Theresa and Betrand turned out to be the only people that I have met in Africa that wanted nothing for something.  Theresa got up at the crack of dawn and Betrand took her to her part time job at the US Embassy.  When he got home, he put together a continential breakfast and was the most hospitable host.  He even gave us a ride back to Joseph's sister's bar.  I really appreciated everything they did for us.

Sometime in the middle of the night, I realized that Joseph had used me to go visit his sister.  I heard and read that there were so many interesting things to see in Benin.  Unfortunately, all I saw was the over-polluted city of Contonou.  If the US is trying to save the Ozone layer, they might a well forget about, because Contonou will destroy it.  There is open gas containers and non-street legal bikes every where.  Again, in my last blog, with Joseph I realized that I never knew where I was going, what I was doing and how much it was going to cost me.  I started getting ticked off.

Once we got to his sister's bar, she told him that she was not going to show up for another hour and a half.  He wanted me to wait but I said no.  I told him that I wanted to go back to Lome because I wasn't feeling good.  So he starts dragging me around again.  Again, we walk for miles.  We stopped by a bank so I can get change for the large bills I have.  When we leave, I ask him where we are going.  He tells me the harbor...what??? When did we talk about going to the harbor?  So once again we head back to the bar.  We wait their for another hour for his sister to show up.  I am getting pretty steamed at this point.  Finally, she shows up and I said I want to leave because I am really getting sick at this point.  To make a long story short, we catch a cab...where?  Hell, if I should know. As we pass Ouidah, I realize that we are heading to Lome.

In the cab, I am getting more sick, all I smell is exhaust and gas.  The window is rolled down and the handle is broke off so I can't roll it back up.  I feel like I am dying from carbon monoxide poisioning.  About two hours into our trip, the cab driver pulls over to get some gas, then pull the gas container that has been sitting behind my head on the back dash.  I looked over at Joseph, with a look that could kill, and asked him if that was a gas can...guess what the answer was...?

My patience was running pretty short with Joseph, I realized that I had to pay for everything, but it was paying for everyone else that I had a problem with. It really ticked me off when I had to pay for his bribe at the border crossing because he didn't bring his papers.

By the time we got back to Lome, I was sicker than a dog.  We stopped by the pharmacy and I got some cough drops because my throat was so sore.  The pharamacist offer me antibiotics but I declined.

Yesterday, I spent the day in bed because I was so sick. Fortunately, Gerson had the shower and toilet working in my room so I didn't have to leave.  Bethel was concerned that I had malaria but I didn't have a fever.  Princess got the chicken pox while I was gone and Gerson Jr had malaria, so the whole house was full of sickies.  I ended up getting antibiotics for bronchitis from the pharmacy.  I feel much better today but my chest still feels like it is on fire.  I like the pharmacies here, you don't have to see a doctor first.  I picked up some malaria pills that I will start taking when I get home.

We have arrived back in Accra.  It took at least an hour for Gerson to get through the border.  I still haven't figured out why.  It's mainly because he has a new car.  There are about 10 check points in the 165 km from the Togo border to Accra.

I have had my pizza fix.  I think that I am good for a while.  I thought I was going to need pizza when I got home., now it's some protein and a huge salad.  The thought of eathing meat here scares me even though I have not got food poisoning.

I leave in a little more than 24 hours.  I can not wait to flush a toilet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment