Sunday, December 26, 2010

A little late, but Merry Christmas

I am really appreciating the ease of living in the United States.  Bethel needs her battery replaced in her car.  The mechanic came over on Friday to replace it.  Now, most of us know that a battery can be changed out without the need of a mechanic.  Heck, I can do it.  Not in Togo though, he came over to replace the battery and then left with the car.  The car has now returned and the mechanic and the battery have left and will not back until Monday because it needs two hours to charge.  This one completely confuses me because I know that a battery just need to be changed out and then you need to drive it for a while.  I am not sure what I am missing.

I have a tour guide, his name is Joseph.  He took me to the market on Christmas Eve.  It's amazing with so much sand here how he can keep his white shirt so white. He doesn't drive (I can't blame him for that if you saw the driving here).  We walked for hours, I swear we must have walked about 10 miles. It's nice because he gave me some history of Togo.  Togo was owned by the Germans until the WWI, once the Germans lost the war, the country was divided between the French and the British.  The west side of the country was incorportated into Ghana, and the east was considered Togo.  Lome is the only capital city that lies on an international border. 

Joseph took me to a Fetish shop where you can buy presents for the Gods.  We were greated by a man name Patience.  Patience has been the only African that has said anything slightly inappropriate. They took me in a separate room, where they showed me good luck charm for lack of a better term.  Joseph wouldn't let me buy anything.  Later he told me it was a scam.  I was glad that he was looking out for me.

Yesterday, Joseph and I headed to Kpalime (pronounced Pal-leh-may).  It was a smaller village two hours north of Lome.  It was a much more peaceful city without as much smog.  We stopped at one of his friend's parents house.  She was very nice, she gave us homemade juice for our travel.  I loved her house because it was in a U shape and each building had different rooms.

We stopped at an African craft mall (per se), the items had a fixed price so you didn't have to negotiate.  Most of the stuff I have seen here, I can buy at home and isn't worth buy in the first place.  The mall had a lot of beautiful fabric and wood carvings but no ATMs, I only had so much money on me.

We stopped at hotel for lunch. I had a delicious pork-chop with fries.  I have been fearful of getting food poisoning but there has been no problems.  I even use the tap water to brush my teeth.  The hotel was the only place I found a bathroom that flushed.

Joseph has ten brothers and sisters.  His father had three wives and he was they only of the third wife.  Hi family lived in Kpalime but he was raised by his uncle and aunt in Lome.  If you are the only child of a third or more wife, you will get treated unfairly by the other wives which is why he was removed by his uncle in his home.  Joseph ran into one of his sisters while we were there.  We went to her shop to wait for her and it took her a long time to show up.  He thought we should leave but I said I was in no rush and that we should wait for her.  I had no idea what most people

We headed back to Lome, I was able to see the other side of the city.  It's exactly the same throughout.  On Christmas, the town does not stop like in the US.  Some shops close but there are many that are still open.  Most of the stands on the side of the road where open as well.

When we got back to Bethel's place, I invited him inside.  He wouldn't come inside until Gerson invited him in.  I was able to call the girls last night.  It was good to hear both of their voices.  Ava seems so pre-occupied with her new Littlest Pet Shop toys but told me she was looking forward to showing them to me.  Keara is surviving her father's place.  It sounded like we are all looking forward to seeing each other again.  I miss them.

Tomorrow, Joseph and I are heading to Benin.  Bethel says it's a very nice country to visit.  I an looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment